Sunday, November 8, 2015

November 8

Getting back to blogging is much like getting back to running after a layoff; hard to do. Not too much has happened since last Sunday's run since I was in Los Wages for 3 days on business. Like I predicted there was no running, although I walked an average of 7 miles each day, and ate terribly. That will happen when you are treated to fantastic dinners by your suppliers. The trend has continued through today which has resulted in me going over 160 pounds for the first time in a very, very long time. Time for a round of fasting before the holidays commence before I get too fat.

At least on the injury front, things are looking much better although I had a scare on Tuesday. After logging 10+ miles of walking my left foot got cranky and was hurting to the point where it was waking me up. Fortunately it worked itself out and by Thursday it was fine. At least the PF behaved and was barely noticeable.

Finally with the weekend arriving it was time to get back into the routine and log some miles. The plan was to get in in 90 minutes or 7 miles and after much dawdling I hit the road on a beautiful Saturday morning. Fall has finally arrived in the desert and it was only in the low 60s when I hit the road at almost 11.

I felt strong for the first couple miles but as I got to the 3 mile mark I was beginning to slow down and had trouble keeping the HR below 140. My calves were starting to get tight and I felt like I was just plodding along. At least my splits were consistent in the 10:40s so that was an encouraging sign. It's still baby steps but the 7.2 miles was the longest run to date.

Today I was a little better about getting out of bed but I still dawdled and didn't get out until 10:30. The temperature was higher today, low 70s and there was a bit of a stiff wind for the 5 mile or 1 hour run. Happily nothing was hurting so I believe I am on the right path.

The plan for the run was to again keep it under 140 bpm and for the most part I was pretty successful. The 5.4 miles was pretty much a repeat of yesterday although I was a tad slower and it is just another step in the right direction.

With some good miles and my first back to back runs behind me it's time to see if I can push it a little harder. Tomorrow is a rest day and Tuesday I'm going to do some speed work in the way of a 30 minute run at 150 bpm. It will be interesting to see how my body reacts to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment