Sunday, October 18, 2015

October 18

A great man once said "That's all I can stands, I can't stands no more!" and that's how I feel when it comes to no running for 5 weeks.

While the upper body and core work has been great, I finally broke down and saw a Chiropractor that specializes in ART to help accelerate the healing. I couldn't believe how much better I felt after just one treatment as it put me over the hump that I had been stuck on for the last couple of weeks. I may not be 100% yet but I'm close enough that I felt comfortable in getting back out on the road.

Initially I was planning on doing a MAF test but came to the realization that I shouldn't put in the miles required this early on and settled on doing somewhere around 3 miles to gauge where my fitness is at first. I was planning on getting out around 8 but when I was going through my warmup I remembered that I had recently received my RunScribe devices and needed to get them set up. Unfortunately it didn't go very smoothly and what should have taken on a few minutes took over an hour. Soon I got my issues resolved and was on my way. 

It was a beautiful but windy morning with temps in the 70s; finally the blazing heat of the summer is gone and none too soon. It was also a bit on the humid side as we are in a rainy pattern but I can live with that as well.

My goal for the run was to do a half mile warmup and cool down with the remaining miles under 140BPM. It's not quite Maffetone Method but I want to experiment a bit more in this new cycle.

For the first mile and a half I felt great and was managing a pace in the mid-9s to mid-10s with the aid of a nice tailwind. This feeling of confidence would not last for long because once I hit the turn, between the wind in my face and fatigue from the layoff, I slowed down significantly. This wasn't the best feeling in the world but it was something I was expecting so it didn't come as a surprise.

In the end, I got in 3.4 miles in just over 39 minutes which also included some walking at the start and at the finish. In all I was quite happy with the effort and just glad to be able to run again. There was no issue with the PF either, although it did make me aware of its existence toward the end. I'm back to the chiro tomorrow so we'll see what he has to say.

It was also cool to have the RunScribe and geek out over the metrics. I'm so glad I got the 2 pods to have left and right data as well. I've always been able to feel that I was out of balance but now I can quantify it. Surprisingly, if I'm interpreting it correctly it is my left leg that is weak where I always thought it was my right. I'll know better after I get some more runs under my belt.

So I'm hopefully back for good and I'd like to thank everyone of you for the support, encouragement and well wishes. I can't put into words how much I appreciate it; just know that I do. I can't wait to get back out there on Tuesday night and you can be sure that I'll be wearing my new Run-Bright lights.

1 comment:

  1. Hey

    I was searching for some articles about Active Release Technique today and I came across your write up.

    I practice ART in Southern CA. I noticed that you linked to one of my favorite resources... the ART main site.

    Just wanted to give you a heads up that I created a similar article on Active Release, but more thorough, with client infographics and up to date:

    Might be worth a mention on your page.

    Either way, keep up the awesome work! (Don't mean to clutter your page...I couldn't find your email to chat directly)

    Have a great day!

    Dr. Sebastian