Tuesday, July 7, 2015

July 7

I will tell you this, it is hard getting back into the routine after a 4 day weekends. Still, there is no avoiding the inevitable. Finally the DOMS I have been dealing with have subsided so at least i have that going for me.

Once again it was another hot and sunny night with the temperature right around 100 but with a light breeze it felt alright out there when I hit the road. Probably too good as I jumped my HR up to the mid 120s almost immediately after the quarter mile walk to get things going. My feet just wanted to go fast but that is not part of the plan. This made for quite a few fits and starts over the next mile.

Another thing that was screwing me up tonight was my breathing. I wanted to try out some new thinks, primarily breathing through my nose and varying the rate so it wasn't too surprising that I was not having the smoothest of runs. I finally had to give myself a mental slap and to just run, not think and from there things got smoother.

The last 2 miles were by far better than the first 2. A lot if it was that I was just focusing on the run but a lot also had to do with the sun starting to go down which was also affording me more shade. The shade really does make a difference too. I noticed that when I would hit a patch of direct sun my HR would jump 2-3 bpm and drop down by the same once I was out of it. At least the days will begin to get shorted and we are coming out of the it's too freakin hot season and into the merely wicked hot time of year.

All told I felt pretty good about this run and the bricks are stacking up nicely. I'm still a long way from where I would like to be but the heat does not allow for a true assessment of where I am either. With 66 days before the race I just need to make sure I stay healthy and keep building that foundation. I can also take comfort in the fact that it will be 30-50 degrees cooler on the morning of the race and training in this heat will only help/

No comments:

Post a Comment