Sunday, June 21, 2015

June 21

3:30 came early again and once again I answered the call. I even slept a little better last night probably thanks to the couple of glasses of wine I had with dinner. Still I was up and felt ready to take on another run. I also woke Christine up so she could get out and do her 1st Annual Run for Bob 5K in memory of her late Papa Bob before the heat got too bad.

We both got ready and hit the road just after 5 as the sun was coming up. It was a little warmer than yesterday with temps in the low 80sso it was good that we were out this early. I was going to try to pace her for the first half mile somewhere in the 14s but that was a bit ambitious for her at this point so I went on my way.

The warmup mile went great, actually one of the best in a long time. My HR came up evenly and by the time I hit the 1 mile mark I was in my stride in the low 130s. I was really in a grove with a few bunny sightings until I came to a 4 way stop where a few cars just blew through the intersection for which I expressed my annoyance. This threw me off and caused a n HR spike but didn't take long to come back down.

Miles 2-4 were as good as I've had lately although there was a brief niggle in my right achilles that went as quickly as it came. Right at the 4 mile split I made a turn to the east and although its a different route than yesterday this is a 2 mile stretch that also has a slight incline and usually has a headwind; such is life. At least there were more bunnies which brought the total to 13, a new PR.

I also found the source of the asshats who blew the stops earlier as I came upon an all-nighter that was wrapping up. There were still a few cars parked on the street, some with sleeping occupants, as well as a few diehards still living it up. There were about 100 chairs around tables so it must have been one hell of a bash. Ah, the good old days.

I was planning on 9 but just as I passed the 7 mile mark, mister TFL gave me a hint that it was time to wrap it up and with that I downshifted for the final cool down mile. In all I was very pleased with this solid 8 mile effort as well as the weekend in general; two days of quality miles is a good thing.

What's even better is that I have a full day today as well as tomorrow to rest before I'm back at it on Tuesday, most likely in the heat.

Oh, and if you are wondering, Christine PRd her 5K in 48:11. Great job Grasshopper!

No comments:

Post a Comment